Monday, January 2, 2012

Cover 'Em Up

Well, I guess we were bound to hit some bumps sooner or later ... and tonight is going to be one of those bumps. With temperatures expected to drop well below 50˚F tonight, it's time to take preventive measures. (Any temperatures below about 50˚F begin to interfere with tomatoes setting fruit.)

So, here are the steps I'll be taking tonight:

  1. Deeply water the tomatoes as night sets in. Water is a great insulation and protects tender roots. As you water at night, though, make extra sure not to get any water on the leaves.
  2. Cover the tomatoes with sheets. Try to get as much coverage as possible.
And I've never done this myself, but I've heard of people using LED holiday lights with great success. The LED lights put off just a tiny bit of heat, just enough to keep the plants warm. Professional growers also use misters to prevent frost, but I don't think we're at that point yet.

I've already got a little bit of cold damage on some of the leaves (purplish blotches) from these last few nights, but I expect tonight to represent the first real challenge to the healthy plants. So cover 'em up and cross your fingers ...


2 comments:

  1. got as much as possible covered. My German Johnson is 10 feet tall, and staked to the house.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of folded over branches and will loose some fruit im sure.
    I guess I will use this expierience an learn from it. I went out an reinforced as well.

    ReplyDelete