When it comes to growing plants from seed, tomatoes are among the most rewarding. For one thing, I still find it hard to fathom that the tiny seedling of September will grow into the huge vine of January. Seeds in general are tiny miracles, but tomato seeds have at least one special attribute: they often germinate very quickly (sometimes as quickly as 4 days). This is good for impatient people like me.
- 2 parts sphagnum peat moss
- 1 part perlite
- dolomite lime
- bat guano
- Azoychka, a yellow, early season tomato with citrus notes
- Homestead 24, a red tomato bred especially for hot climates like South Florida
- Marvel Stripe, a large heirloom tomato with striped yellow and red fruit
- Giant Belgium, a ginormous red beefsteak tomato with fruit that weighs 2 lbs.